Recommended for wrestlers entering grades 7-12
July 14-18, 2013
Camp Highlights and Features:
- One of the most successful camps in Midwest!
- Choice of six different concentration areas (one of the only clinics available where wrestlers can do so)
- 18 hours of technical Instruction
- Individual Tournament by weight class (junior high and senior high divisions)
- On-going team recreation sports tournament
- Awards given to team and individual champion
This is the 36th year the Michigan Wrestling Camps have been held on the beautiful University of Michigan campus. The camp, one of the finest in the nation, has been one of the most popular camps in the Midwest. Michigan Wrestling is consistently regarded among the top programs in the country, and it only makes sense to learn from the best!
We have an outstanding staff and we teach the most successful techniques used by elite wrestlers. One of the areas that separates this camp from others is the fact that you — the wrestler — will be able to choose the areas of wrestling instruction that you desire to concentrate on during the course of the week (see areas of concentration below). Additionally, we feature tours, guest lectures, tournaments, recreational games, etc., which will guarantee a successful week for any young wrestler who aspires to be a champion. This camp also features an ongoing individual wrestling tournament throughout the week. Teaching winning techniques is our primary purpose, but providing a “total clinic experience” is also important. Come and spend a week with us at either one of our technique camps and learn from the best!
Areas of Concentration for Technique Camp:
Wrestlers attending the technique camps will choose three of the following areas of instruction. Six hours will be taught in depth in each area. These will be selected at check-in.
- Leg Wrestling – Basic fundamentals of legs and turning with legs. Emphasis on getting them in, riding and pinning will be emphasized. Defending against the legs will also be covered.
- Leg Takedowns – The most effective takedown in today’s wrestling is the single leg, double leg and high crotch series. Effective set-ups and finishes will be drilled.
- Other Takedowns – Develop your takedown technique with upper body throws, snaps, ducks, fireman’s carry, front head locks, etc. Round out your takedown attack.
- Riding and Pinning – Learn to break your opponent off his base and turn him onto his back. The arm bar series, near side wrist series, tilts, cradles, and spiral ride are taught, along with other pinning combinations.
- Escapes and Reversals – Improve your wrestling from the bottom position. Hand control, working base, control of arms and legs, along with combinations from the bottom will be stressed.
- Counter Offense – Learn to not only stop your opponents shot, but score off it! Down blocking, go-behinds, snap-downs, single-leg defense and high-crotch defense will be covered.